The 2024 WMRT season will comprise two levels of events – ‘World Tour’ events and ‘World Championship’ events. All events will be organised under World Sailing rules as ‘Open’ match racing events allowing both men and women teams, as well as mixed teams to enter. The ‘World Championship’ level events will award higher points and usually prize money of at least USD75,000.
Championship format – updated 1 February 2024
- The 2024 Match Racing World Championship will be awarded to the
winner of the WMRT Final/ Shenzhen Bao’an Match Cup in China, 10-15
December. The prize purse for the WMRT Final will be US$200,000 as
- A minimum of 12 skippers will be invited to the WMRT Final including;
- The top 10 placed skippers from the WMRT leaderboard counting their best FOUR results after the penultimate event (Bermuda Gold Cup 2024)
- The highest ranked skipper on the World Sailing Match Racing Ranking taken from the 1 October 2024 World Sailing rankings
- 1 wild card invitation to be determined by WMRT Organising Committee
- The following rules will apply for any series-score ties;
- If there is a series-score tie between two or more skippers, each skipper’s race positions shall be listed in order of best to worst, and at the first point(s) where there is a difference the tie shall be broken in favour of the skipper with the best position(s). No excluded scores shall be used.
- If a tie remains between two or more skippers, they shall be ranked in order of their scores in the last race. Any remaining ties shall be broken by using the tied skippers’ scores in the next-to-last race and so on until all ties are broken. These scores shall be used even if some of them are excluded scores.