London, UK (25 June, 2023) Swiss match racer Eric Monnin and his Capvis Swiss Match Racing Team secured victory at the 12th edition of the OM International Ledro Match Race, Stage 6 of the World Match Racing Tour hosted by the Associazione Vela Lago Di Ledro, Italy. With eleven teams competing from nine countries on Lake Ledro, Monnin and crew defeated local sailor Rocco Attili and his RBYS team 3-0 in the finals, with Israel’s Vladimir Lipavsky finishing in 3rd.
One of the most experienced match racers on the World Match Racing Tour, and winner of the 2022 European Match Racing Championship, it was a family win for Monnin with his crew made up of brother Marc Monnin and his wife Ute Monnin-Wagner.
Travelling form the USA to compete in the event, Youth Match Racing World Champion Jeffrey Petersen and his Golden State Match Racing Team finished in a worthy fourth place after posting a 6-4 score in the Round Robin qualifying round, which advanced the team to the Semi-finals against Italy’s Rocco Attili.
A lack of breeze caused the semi-final match between Petersen and Attili to be shortened advancing Attili, the only Italian competing in the event, to the finals against veteran match racer Monnin. Jeffrey Petersen and Vladimir Lipavsky raced a challenging petite-final with Lipavsky taking the match win 2-1 and securing 3rd place for the event.
Finishing in fifth place was French sailor Damian Michelier, winner of the 2022 OM International Ledro Match Race, followed by Robbie McCutcheon (NZL), Timothee Rossi (FRA), Mati Sepp (EST), Ruairi Finnegan (IRL), Martin Allix (FRA) and Ted Blowers (GBR).
1. (SUI) Capvis Swiss Match Racing Team: Eric Monnin, Marc Monnin, Ute Wagner Monnin
2. (ITA) RBYS Racing: Rocco Attili, Giulio Tamburini, Ashik Crevatin
3. (ISR) Vladimir Lipavsky, Igor Matvienko, Evgenii Braslovets
4. (USA) Golden State Match Racing Team: Jeffrey Petersen, Max Mayol, Daniel Pegg
5. (FRA) Damian Michelier, Thomas Galliache, Hugo Roche
6. (NZL) Cutch Racing – Robbie McCutcheon, Harry Thurston, Dylan Whitcraft
7. (FRA) Sudistes Sailing Team: Timothee Rossi, Yann le Corre, Thibaut Demai
8. (EST) EESTI Match Race LIIT: Mati Sepp, Melcin Aasav, Janno Hool
9. (IRE) Craic’n Racing: Ruairi Finnegan, Wesley Bright, Andres Guerra, Ryan Fitzgerald, Dylan Whitcraft
10. (FRA) Sail in Blue: Martin Allix, Marius Lerouvreur, Ethan Villain
11. (GBR) Absolute Match Racing Team: Ted Blowers, Will Birch-Tomlinson, Amy Sparks
WORLD MATCH RACING TOUR
Founded in 2000, the World Match Racing Tour (WMRT) promotes the sport of match racing around the world and is the longest running global professional series in the sport of sailing. The WMRT is awarded ‘Special Event’ status by the sport’s world governing body – World Sailing – and the winner of the WMRT each year is crowned World Sailing Match Racing World Champion. Previous champions include Sir Ben Ainslie (GBR), Taylor Canfield (USA), Peter Gilmour (AUS), Magnus Holmberg (SWE), Peter Holmberg (ISV), Adam Minoprio (NZL), Torvar Mirsky (AUS), Bertrand Pace (FRA), Jesper Radich (DEN), Phil Robertson (NZL) and Ian Williams (GBR). Since 2000, the World Match Racing Tour and its events have awarded over USD23million in prize money to sailors which has helped to contribute to the career pathway of many of today’s professional sailors. www.wmrt.com